Who doesn’t love to snack? There is something very satisfying and soothing about munching on a bag of chips, crackers, nuts, etc… Some people snack when they are stressed or anxious. Others do it when they are bored, happy, angry, etc… Snacking when you aren’t hungry is a big challenge to those of us who are trying to lose excess weight because while you are munching away, you are also eating a lot of unnecessary calories. Here are some ideas of what to do when you are faced with the urge to snack:
(1) Go for a walk. Better yet – call up a friend and you can both go for a walk! Exercise is a natural appetite suppressant, and it will get you far away from items tempting you in your pantry!
(2) Go to a completely different room of the house and start working on a project or hobby. Clean out the garage, work on a quilt, do the laundry, work on a puzzle, etc… anything that will keep you out of the kitchen and immersed in something else.
(3) Call a friend (perhaps from Weigh 2 Go!) and have her talk you down from the ledge. Make the call in a room other than the kitchen…
(4) Talk a long, hot bath and read a book. Stress is a leading factor in making us want to snack and overeat, so a bath will help relax you and give you a chance to get over your craving.
(5) Chew some gum or brush your teeth. Chewing gum will keep your mouth busy and off-limits for snacking. As for brushing your teeth, who wants to eat when your mouth is minty-fresh?
(6) In a moment of strength – possibly after attending a Weigh 2 Go! meeting – get rid of any snacks that you are likely to overeat in a moment of weakness. If you are truly lacking in willpower (as I am), you may need to throw these items out AND pour some dish soap on top… Sounds extreme, I know, but better safe than sorry.
(7) Munch on something healthy and crunchy like carrots, cucumbers, celery, grapes, apples, etc. Fruits and vegetables was probably not what you were craving, but they can sometimes help satisfy your need to snack.
Feel free to share your ideas too!